Brazilian football star Neymar and Al Hilal have agreed to end their contract together

BY THE ARAB TODAY Jan 30, 2025

Brazilian football star Neymar and Al Hilal have agreed to end their contract together

Brazilian football star Neymar and Al Hilal have agreed to end their contract together

Saudi Arabia’s Al Hilal Club has said they and Brazil’s Neymar Santos Jr. have agreed to end his contract.

Leaving Al Hilal

Al Hilal, the Saudi Pro League champion, thanked Neymar for his contributions to the team and wished him success in the future, as stated in a message on X.

Neymar suffered a knee injury in October 2023 during a World Cup qualifier match between Brazil and Uruguay. This happened just two months after joining Al Hilal, and he has had difficulty returning to his best form since then.

Since moving from Paris St Germain (PSG) to Al Hilal for a reported $98.4 million (€90 million), Neymar has played only seven matches with the Saudi club. His salary details were not revealed, but football reporter Fabrizio Romano said it could be $300 million over two years, with a chance to increase to $400 million through bonuses and commercial deals.

According to a Reuters report citing Brazilian media, Neymar will return to his childhood club, Santos, which he left in 2013 to join Barcelona. In 2017, he moved from Barcelona to PSG for a record $231.45 million (€222 million).

During his six years at PSG, Neymar scored 118 goals in 173 matches, becoming the club’s fourth all-time top scorer.

Tangent

In November, Neymar bought a $54.4 million (AED 200 million) penthouse in Dubai’s Bugatti Residences. The luxury penthouse features a private car lift and a swimming pool with views of Downtown Dubai.

Saudi Football

In 2023, the Saudi Public Investment Fund (PIF) bought a majority stake in the Al Hilal, Al Nassr, Al Ahli, and Al Ittihad clubs. These clubs have attracted major stars like Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema, and Neymar with big contracts.

Saudi clubs spent $957 million in the 2023 summer transfer window, ranking second after the English Premier League.

The Saudi sports ministry announced that privatizing football clubs has helped increase commercial revenue for the Pro League. The target is now $480 million (SAR 1.8 billion) per year.

In July 2024, the ministry said it would privatize more football clubs as part of the country’s economic plan.

In December 2024, Saudi Arabia was confirmed as the host for the 2034 FIFA World Cup. The country has also started investing in other sports like Formula 1, professional golf, and boxing.

Published: 30th January 2025

Also Read:

The Middle East: A Sporting Hub of the Future
Middle Eastern Universities Pioneering Future Innovation
Mental Health Awareness in the Middle East


Banking & Insurance, Investment, UAE
UAE’s Wealthy Investors Lead in Taking ‘Mini Retirements,’ HSBC Survey Finds

UAE’s Wealthy Investors Lead in Taking ‘Mini Retirements,’ HSBC Survey Finds Wealthy investors in the UAE plan to take an average of…

Bahrain, Economy, Energy
Bahrain’s Non-Oil Exports Fall 1% in July to $883M

Bahrain’s Non-Oil Exports Fall 1% in July to $883M Bahrain’s non-oil exports fell by 1% in July compared to last year, reaching…

Abu Dhabi, Energy, Saudi Arabia
TAQA and AlBawani Secure $4B Funding for Saudi Power Plants

TAQA and AlBawani Secure $4B Funding for Saudi Power Plants Abu Dhabi’s National Energy Company (TAQA) and Japan’s AlBawani Capital have secured…

Economy, Egypt, Energy
Egypt’s Non-Oil Private Sector Declines Again in August

Egypt’s Non-Oil Private Sector Declines Again in August Egypt’s non-oil private sector shrank for the sixth month in a row in August,…

Dubai, Stock Markets
Binghatti Holding’s $500M Sukuk Debuts on Nasdaq Dubai, Raising Total Listings to $1B

Binghatti Holding’s $500M Sukuk Debuts on Nasdaq Dubai, Raising Total Listings to $1B Dubai-based property developer Binghatti Holding has listed a new…